Be a part of one of the nation’s premier campus law enforcement agencies at VCU Police. With more than 90 sworn officers, 200 security personnel, and an on-campus dispatch center advancing an “all-out community policing” mission in the heart of Richmond, VCU Police offers exciting opportunities for law enforcement careers in a dynamic urban setting. VCU Police serves two campuses and a diverse population of more than 50,000 students, faculty and staff. The department has a large patrol division trained to patrol on bike, on foot or in vehicles, as well as community policing, investigations, security and special operations divisions.
If you are interested in applying for the next academy class, please monitor this page and VCU Police Facebook for information on the next academy class.
As of December 2014, VCU Police is hiring new police officers and is accepting applications from all applicants. Please visit the VCU Human Resources job posting for more information on hiring and to apply: https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/41250. This listing will close on Jan. 2, 2015.
VCU Police offers our officers competitive starting salaries and a generous package of state benefits, including a tuition waiver for officers wishing to pursue higher education. Benefits include:
- Starting salary range: $37,319 - $40,000
- Choice of health, dental, disability and life insurance plans offered through the Commonwealth of Virginia
- Generous vacation, holiday and sick leave accrual
- Flexible scheduling for officers with military commitments
- Free access to VCU Police Department gym facilities
- Tuition waiver program for studies at VCU and opportunities for professional development and career advancement
- Participation in the Virginia Supplemental Retirement System, VaLORS Program, and deferred compensation plans
- Equipment, uniforms and cleaning of Class A uniforms are provided
- Additional university benefits are described on VCU's Human Resources website
Qualifications, selection process and timeline
Although individuals with minimum qualifications may apply, only those with the most suitable job related experience, education and qualifications will continue in the selection process. Applicants should visit www.vcujobs.com for the latest status of their application.
Minimum qualifications for VCU Police officers include:
- Ability to work in a high-stress environment with a diverse population
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to work shifts with varying days off, including possible work on nights, weekends, and/or holidays
- At least 21 years of age with a high school diploma or GED
- Can meet or exceed minimum physical fitness standards
- Men: 10 push-ups, 15 sit-ups, 18 minute 1.5 mile run
- Women: 3 push-ups, 10 sit-ups, 20 minute 1.5 mile run
- Possess a valid state driver's license and a good driving record
- Must have a good credit history and clean criminal record with no convictions for felonies, domestic violence, or crimes of moral turpitude
- Must pass a physical and mental health evaluation
- Must pass a drug test, polygraph test, and written test
The selection process includes a preliminary interview, a full VCIN/NCIC/DMV records check, six letters of reference (three business and three personal), fingerprint-based CCRE/FBI check, psychological review, a written 500-word essay, copy of birth certificate, copies of school transcripts, copy of military DD-214 forms (where applicable), citizenship check, a full physical exam by a licensed physician, polygraph, pre-hire physical fitness test and a drug screen test upon job offer. The final selections are made by an oral review board and the Chief of Police.